Improve safety on our roads
“Our objective is to reduce harm on the roads and promote safer driving.”
Working with Safer Essex Road Partnership we will:
- Build on the success of reducing those killed or seriously injured on our roads by working with our partners on the Safer Essex Roads Partnership to set an ambitious long-term target for significant further reductions.
- Undertake targeted, preventative operations to make it harder for criminals to use our road network to commit crime.
- Train more Community Speed Watch Volunteers to use technology so they can issue enforcement notices for bad driving.
- Invest in the rapid expansion of the “extra eyes” programme so drivers can report poor and dangerous driving.
- Increase enforcement activity against drug drivers, provide a focused deterrence for repeat offenders and a clear public messaging campaign to detect and deter people from committing this offence.
- Improve take-up of safe driving programmes, working with drivers to prevent harm and change behaviours so they understand their responsibilities for safe driving, with a focus on high risk drivers such as young men between the ages of 18-24.
- Maximise the use of police technology such as drug wipes, speed detection devices and automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) to prevent harm, identify and change the behaviours of those who break the law.
- Work with partners to ensure appropriate road traffic regulations are in place, such as speed limits, cameras and safe road design.
So that fewer people are killed or seriously injured.
Performance Outcomes and Indicators
Harm on Essex roads is reduced and safe driving is promoted.
1 Number of driving under the influence of drink and/or drugs on Essex roads
2 Number of driving related mobile phone crime on Essex roads
3 All people killed or seriously injured (KSI) in road collisions