Accessibility statement for Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex.
This accessibility statement applies to the www.essex.pfcc.police.uk website.
This website is run by Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex. We want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
- navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
- navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
- listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)
We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.
AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.
How accessible this website is
We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- most older PDF documents are not fully accessible to screen reader software
- videos do not have transcripts or captions
- some images are missing alt text
- some of our online forms are difficult to navigate using just a keyboard
We are working to improve in these areas.
Feedback and contact information
- Email [email protected] or;
- Call 01245 291600
Reporting accessibility problems with this website
We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact:
- Email [email protected] or;
- Call 01245 291600
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
If you need any additional support when contacting us by phone or visiting, please let us know how we can accommodate you by contacting us.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner for Essex is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons.
Non-compliance with the accessibility regulations
- Some images do not have a text alternative, so people using a screen reader cannot access the information. This fails WCAG 2.1 success criterion 1.1.1 (non-text content).
- When we publish new content, we’ll make sure our use of images meets accessibility standards.
- We will add a text alternative to all images, starting from the newest added, working back to those added post 23 September 2018.
- Some PDFs contain information in images which are not visible as text for screen readers and have other accessibility issues. We have an accessibility strategy in place that will fix pdfs and make them accessible, starting from the newest added, working back to those added post 23 September 2018.
- Where possible, we will endeavour to make pdfs as plain HTML web pages.
- If a PDF document has not been updated yet or cannot be produced in an accessible format and we have the original, we will send, upon request, a plain text version to you – please see reporting accessibility issues with this website (above) for contact details.
- When adding new pdf’s, we will endeavour to make them accessible, however some – i.e. finance pdfs are very complicated with graphics, charts and graphs, unfortunately these may not be accessible – however, a plain text version will be available on request – please see contact details above.
Content that’s not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
- Videos, PDFs and other documents
- The accessibility regulations do not require us to fix PDFs, videos or other documents published before 23 September 2018 if they’re not essential to providing our services.
- Any documents supplied and with regard to Essex Police and Essex Fire and Rescue Service are deemed third-party content which Essex PFCC does not have control over. However, we will encourage these organisations to make the content they provide as accessible as possible over time.
- Any new videos, PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards, as long as they are not third-party content. If it is not possible for PDFs to meet accessibility standards we will ensure a plain text version is retained and provided on request.
Third party content
The cookie bar is not easily accessible for keyboard users. We are currently looking in to alternative solutions. However, it is non-funded third-party content and thus lies outside of the scope of accessibility regulations.
The Information Request form is not fully compliant and may be difficult to use for keyboards users. The form is created using 3rd party software. We are currently looking into alternative solutions that can create a fully accessible form.
The calendar on our events page is difficult to navigate for keyboard users and can be confusing for screen reader users. We are currently looking into alternative solutions.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 22/09/20. It was last reviewed on 14/12/22.
This website was last tested on 12/12/22. The test was carried out by Formation Media.
We tested the site through a combination of manual tests and using Axe Deque.
We selected at least a single page from each template to test and additionally tested the pages in the main navigation.