Further investment in crime prevention
Our objective is to invest in activities and initiatives that prevent crime
from happening in the first place to reduce overall crime and keep our
- Deliver over 300 more officers on top of the 500 additional officers already delivered since 2016.
- Invest in neighbourhood policing to get crime down.
- Work with Safer Essex and in line with the Crime Prevention Strategy to invest more in preventing crime in Essex
- Build on the success of Community Safety Partnerships (CSPs) by encouraging increased targeting of hotspots, including in the night-time economy, and known offenders to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour (ASB).
- Improve the effective allocation of planned police resources by monitoring All Crime Harm (crime severity) scores and ensuring Essex Police and partners bring down the level of harm in our communities.
- Invest further in intelligence led Local Policing Teams, as we have in Town Centre Teams and Disruptor Teams, to adopt a problem-solving response to local issues.
- Use technology more to help Essex Police be visible in their communities including developing mobile applications and enabling better connectivity.
- Invest in the accessibility of Essex Police via the internet and social media, including online reporting and chat as well as 101, so they can give better feedback to communities and victims.
- Invest in Body Worn Video and Tasers to help keep the public, officers and staff safe and be effective in their roles.
- Recognise and welcome the increased diversity of Essex and invest in ways to work together with all communities to prevent crime by encouraging reporting, identifying problem areas and targeting prevention activity.
- Build on the success of our Joint Education Teams by investing in work with schools and young people to develop a comprehensive education focused prevention programme delivering relevant messages, including about healthy relationships and child sexual exploitation, at the right time throughout a student’s journey through education.
- Work with partners to design out crime.
- Make clear how the safety and security of new roads and developments can be improved.
- Work with government to ensure Police and Fire and Rescue Services have a strong, statutory voice in the planning of new developments and roads; and work with developers, including through Essex Design Guide, to improve the safety and security of new developments.
- Work nationally to review the funding formula and get a fairer deal for Essex.
Performance Outcomes and Indicators
We get crime down and wherever possible prevent it from happening
- All Crime Harm Score
- All Crime
- Independent Public Confidence Survey